For a small village, Scredington certainly has it’s fair share of “history”!
From early mentions in the Domesday Book (where it was known as Scredinthun); some remaining distinctive earthworks of what were originally five moated medieval manors; the village’s connection to the Railway network (the Aswarby & Scredington Station); the beautiful Church of St Andrews in the village, with Parish Registers dating from 1738; the old village School and Chapel … there’s plenty to discover about the rich past of this rural location.
With maps, photos, first-hand stories, census details and more being added here, you can click on the pictures below to visit pages for stories from Scredington’s past, people who have lived and worked in the village, the history of places and buildings in the village, a collection of photos of Scredington, and read a potted history on this page. You may also want to take a look at the Lincs To the Past website which holds a wealth of documents about Scredington.
Scredington lies just 4 miles south of Sleaford and is an oasis of rural tranquillity with surprisingly good links to local services. Its population was 394 in 1871, 311 in 1964 and 259 in the year 2000. Before the Norman Conquest the village was known as Scredington-cum-Northbec, and over the years the village name has been spelt as Scredintune (Domesday Book), Skreddington, Skrediton, Screddington before it finally became fixed as it is known today – SCREDINGTON.
The village boundary covers 2,530 acres and includes the hamlets of Northbeck and Highgate. Before the Norman Conquest the whole of this area was owned by one man, Saxon Leane. After the Battle of Hastings, Leane was deprived of his heritage and his lands were divided between Robert de Stafford, and Gilbert de Gant of the manor of Folkingham.
In 1328 Sir William Lattimer obtained possession of the manor. He died in 1336, and his widow later married Sir Robert Ufford. Their daughter, Elizebeth, married Robert Lord Willoughby and when he died in 1396, the village lands passed into the possession of John Beaumont, who let them to the Prior of Sempringham.
The next documented landowner was Elizebeth, daughter of John Lord Neville, the heiress daughter of William Baron Lattimer and the wife of Sir Robert Lattimer. In 1404, John Neville (lord Lattimer) died and in 1447 Matilda, his widow, remarried to become the wife of the Earl of Cambridge. Then, in 1469, George Neville, Lord Lattimer died.
The next possessor was Robert Lord Willoughby de Brooke, who died in 1502. He left the manor of Scredington, and also that of Helpringham, to the Mass Priest of the Church of Hoke, Dorsetshire to pray for his soul and that of his wife and family. The Mass Priest was to receive 10 marks for his services of 20 years (a mark being worth two thirds of a pound), and also alms for 14 poor people. In 1523 Richard Hobson seized the manor of Scredington and also Folkingham.
After this date it becomes impossible to trace the ownership of the manor, except that in 1615, the manor was in the possession of Rochester Carre, being held by him on behalf of the Crown.
Archaeology and Scheduled Ancient Monuments
There are no less than four scheduled ancient monuments within the parish boundaries. The most prominent is the Packhorse Bridge, which, although often referred to as the “Roman Bridge”, is less than certain in its dating, with sources quoting “around 1250” or during the “fifteenth century” – however it is not generally thought to be Roman. The bridge was altered in the 20th Century, when the County Highways department took the decision to replace the ford with a new road bridge to the side of the older bridge, and support the old bridge with concrete footings. The bridge has two spans across the Beck, and is made of ashlar blocks and surfaced with limestone rubble. There is an interpretation board close to the site. An iron spearhead, thought to date from the medieval period, was found near the Beck in 1969.
In Northbeck and Scredington there are the remains of two moated manorial complexes. The Hall Farm manorial complex lies close to Scredington, and is in the form of a rectangular area surrounded by a wide moat. Within the moats, there is a raised area, believed to have been a building platform, and ponds, probably to supply the Manor with fish. There is an interpretation board at the roadside close to the site.
The moated site at Northbeck lies in the field about 150m north east of and opposite Manor Farm. It is a similar rectangular structure with wide and deep moats, and may have been part of a much larger complex.
The final monument is the base of an ancient cross, thought to date from the 15th century, some way from the village off the Mareham Lane towards Sleaford.
Scredington Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Scredington Chapel was built in 1840, rebuilt in 1875 and closed in 1982. It is now a private residence.
Being in the heart of Bomber County, Scredington saw its fair share of action during the world wars. The War Memorials in the church (a plaque in the North Aisle, and a stained glass window in the chancel) attest to loss of life from Scredington families.
During the Second World War, aircraft ED4 0-LN from RAF Wyton crashed during a bombing practice training flight at High Gate Farm, Scredington on 18th June 1943 with the loss of the lives of those on board. On Sunday 16th June 2013, around 190 people, including relatives from as far afield as Northbrook, Ontario, attended a special service to erect a memorial in the village church to the 9 young men of the British RAF, Royal Canadian Air Force and Royal Australian Air Force who were killed when the plane went down. Click here for more information about the memorial service and flypast.
The Great Northern Railway Company opened a station close to Scredington in 1872, which was in operation until the railway transferred to the London and North Eastern Railway, following which it closed to passengers in 1930 although trains still ran on the line for some decades. Some of the former railway line is now a public footpath, and the railway house is now in private ownership.
Scredington School opened in 1877 and was closed in 1987 after the number of pupils on roll fell. The old schoolhouse has since been converted into housing. There is a photograph of the last day of the school above the Lady Chapel altar in the church.