St Andrews Church

 
St Andrews Parish Church, Scredington

St Andrews Parish Church, Scredington

The Anglican parish church in Scredington is dedicated to St. Andrew, and sits towards the east end of the village, on Church Lane. Dating from the 15th century, the church was restored in 1869. It seats 150 people and is part of the Heckington & Helpringham Group of Parishes. The current incumbent is Rev. Capt. Chris Harrington

You can find out more about the Church, it’s services, contact details and more on the Heckington & Helpringham Group website.

Below are the details from British Listed Buildings which gives details of the Church in it’s status as a Grade II Listed building.

Parish church. C15 and 1869. Coursed rock faced ashlar with ashlar dressings, plain tiled roofs with stone coped gables. South east angle tower and spire, nave, chancel, north aisle and south porch. The tower has an octagonal lower stage with stepped buttresses and contains single louvred lancets to the sides. Above a hollow chamfered string course the tall spire terminates in a double knop. In the spire are 4 gabled lucarnes with trefoil heads. In the west wall of the nave is a single 3 light window with panel tracery and in the west wall of the north aisle is a pair of lancets. The C15 north aisle has a chamfered plinth, angle buttresses and a plain parapet. There are 3 three light windows in the north side with tightly cusped tracery to the heads and 4 centred arched surrounds. A priest’s door has a continuously moulded 4 centred arched surround with moulded head. In the east wall of the chancel is a 4 light C19 panel traceried window. In the south chancel wall is a pair of C19 lancets. In the south wall of the nave are 2 three light windows, C19 with pointed heads to the lights and 4 centred arched surrounds. The gabled south porch has a pointed outer doorway with moulded head and reveals, planked double doors and plain pointed overlight. Pointed C15 inner doorway of 2 chamfered orders with chamfered imposts, reveals and hood with beast head stops. Interior. 3 bay C15 north arcade, octagonal pillars with moulded capitals and double chamfered arches, matching C19 double chamfered chancel arch. In the chancel north wall is a small C15 4 centred arched doorway into the vestry, the arch supported on embattled corbels. Fittings are C19 including the plain circular tapering tub font. Monuments: in the north aisle is a C14 tomb recess with crocketted gable containing the monument to Thomas Wyke, Priest. He is represented as a recumbent effigy in full vestments. Also in the north aisle a chest tomb to William Paulet, d.l464. A plain ashlar chest with panelled sides and a small brass inscription panel on the top ledger slab.